A strong Board of Directors is critical for FOHA’s ongoing success. There are currently two open seats on the Board. If you are committed to FOHA’s mission and want to play an important role in FOHA’s future, please send an email detailing your professional and volunteer experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage anyone who is interested to apply, but we are especially in need of individuals with the following skills and experience:
- Shelter/Rescue/Animal Care
- Veterinary Medicine
- Non-profit Board Experience
- Information Technology
- Volunteer Management
- Human Resources Management
Unsure if a Board position is right for you? See the FAQ’s below for more information.
What do Board members do? The Board is responsible for mission-based oversight and governance of the organization, in addition to operational responsibilities as needed. A non-profit board steers a charitable organization in its management, policies, and goals.
How many people are on the Board? FOHA’s Bylaws allow a minimum of 3 and maximum of 11 members. There are currently 9 people on the Board. The Executive Director is a non-voting member of the Board.
What kind of time commitment is necessary? The Board meets about once a month during evenings or on weekends. We have been meeting virtually with occasional in person meetings. Each member also has additional committee work and responsibilities outside of regular meetings.
What is the Board selection process? After you submit an email detailing your professional and volunteer experience to email@example.com, a Board member will contact you to schedule a screening meeting or phone call. If the Board and applicant decide there is a possible fit, an interview with the full Board and the candidate will be scheduled. The Board then votes on new members and notifies candidates of the outcome.
How long is the commitment? Our Board terms are for 2 years. Terms are renewable.
Can I help in other ways? Absolutely! The Board has several standing committees and other shorter-term committees that may need help. These are great opportunities to serve the organization and learn more about the Committees and Board.
Board Standing Committees:
- Development/Fundraising – meets a few times a year with project teams meeting more frequently, led by Michelle Wright, Vice President Fundraising and Stacey Gimbert, President. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Finance – meets monthly, led by Phyllis Harwell, Treasurer. Email email@example.com for more information.
- Facilities – meets monthly, led by Jake Mages, Vice President, Facilities. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Technology – led by Alison Maurhoff, Executive Director. Email email@example.com for more information.