The Friends of Homeless Animals shelter is located on 40 pastoral acres in Loudoun County, VA
Our space includes:
- Welcome Center: meeting space, recreation space, staff offices
- In addition, the large, grassy front lawn of the welcome center provides an area where volunteers can relax with dogs who prefer to snuggle and enjoy the weather rather than walk.
- Adoption Office: adoption area, a gift shop with a selection of FOHA-branded merchandise, indoor meet-and-greet area for dogs.
- Dog Kennels: 3 heated and air conditioned kennel buildings that can house over 60 dogs at a given time.
- Single and double-occupancy kennels with indoor and outdoor space accessible to each dog, including comfortable bedding and toys
- Dog Villages:
- Fred Sanders Memorial Village - Completely unique area for long-term, senior dogs with an individual heated and air-conditioned house that includes a bed and an over-sized private run with artificial turf
- Josh's Footprint - Josh’s Footprint opened in 2021 and is used to help ease dogs experiencing "shelter stress", and exhibiting the start of some behavioral issues that could potentially impact adoptions. Like the Village, all houses have oversized runs, and individual houses with HVAC systems. The Footprint is powered completely by solar energy.
- Catteries: 2 unique communal catteries, including one for FIV Positive cats:
- The communal catteries allow potential adopters the chance to personally interact with the cats to select their perfect match!
- Cats can freely roam the catteries to take advantage of plenty of space, toys, and screened-in porches for sunning.
- Dog Play Areas: 3 enclosed exercise areas allowing for off-leash play for the dogs and space for pools in summer:
- The play yards give adopters a chance to play and interact closely with the dogs. Many adoption matches have been made during play time!
- Walking Trails: Several miles of wooded, groomed walking trails for dog exercise and adopter interactions.