Our Adoption Commitment to Our Animals
At FOHA, we care deeply about the placement of our cats and dogs into loving homes where they can thrive. Our multi-step pet adoption process focuses on helping families find the best match for their lifestyle and home. We support potential adopters through the process and may also be able to assist with the transition after the adoption is complete.
Please review prior to submitting an adoption application:
- Friends of Homeless Animals reserves the right to refuse placement of any animal for any reason.
- Adopters must be at least 21 years of age.
- We adopt animals primarily to families residing in the greater Washington, DC area to allow for a home visit as part of the adoption process (exceptions may apply).
- All dogs and cats adopted from FOHA must reside with you in your living space and not be left unattended outside or in non-residential buildings.
- All adults of the household must agree before adopting an animal and all members of the household must meet the animal prior to adoption (exceptions may apply).
- All animals presently in your care must be spayed or neutered (exceptions may apply).
- All dogs and cats currently in your care must be current with rabies vaccine and dogs must be on heartworm preventative treatment (exceptions may apply).
- If you are renting your home or are in a condo association, you must provide a copy of the lease or association agreement at the time of your home visit.
- FOHA does not adopt animals as gifts.
- All animals are the sole custody of FOHA until a finalized adoption contract is signed.
- If at any time after an adoption you are unable to keep the pet for any reason, the dog or cat MUST be returned to FOHA.
- Misrepresentations on an application will automatically disqualify you from adoption.
- On occasion there is considerable interest in an animal. FOHA will accept only one application for a pet at a time. Any subsequent applications will be considered as a backup.
- Once an adoption is approved, FOHA cannot hold an animal at our shelter longer than a week unless previous arrangements have been made.
FOHA’s objective: to help you and your family find the best adoptable pet and to provide the tips and tools required to successfully transition your new pet into your home and family. Our adoption process reflects our serious commitment to matching our loved animals to their perfect homes.
- Step 1: Adopters should complete an application prior to visiting our shelter. (This speeds up your adoption process if you find a dog or cat you would like to adopt).
- Step 2: Applications will be pre-screened.
- Step 3: Upon pre-screen approval, you will receive a welcome email with shelter visitation instructions and a liability waiver to sign (for dog adoptions).
- Step 4: Visit the shelter at a confirmed appointment time (COVID-19 Updates).
- All members of the household must meet the pet before the application is considered complete and becomes active.
- If the pet you are interested in adopting is currently in a foster home, FOHA will work with you and the foster family to schedule an appropriate meet-and-greet.
- Step 5: Select your new family member and activate your adoption application. We will review all available animal history and medical information with you prior to activation.
- Step 6: If applicable, we will schedule a time for you to bring out your current dog(s) to meet your new FOHA dog. Introductions are not required for cat adoptions.
- Step 7: Vet references will be checked.
- Step 8: A home visit by FOHA volunteers will be conducted either virtually or in-person.
- Step 9: Upon final adoption approval, all adopting adults will be required to complete an adoption contract at the shelter and pay the adoption fee.
- Step 10: Time to take your new family member home and enjoy your new life together!
Pet Adoption Fees:
Dog Adoption Fees*
- Puppy (under 1 year old): $425
- Dog (1-8 years old): $375
- Senior Care Eligible Dog (8+ years old): Adoption fee waived, Senior Care Plan
*Dog adoptions include the following package: 1 month flea/tick preventative, 1 month heartworm preventative, slip lead, bag of starter food
Cat Adoption Fees
- Kitten (under 1 year old): $175, 2 kittens for $300
- Cat (1-8 years old): $150, 2 cats for $275
- Senior Cat (8+ years old): $75
Prepare Now for a Successful Transition
Start thinking about how to make your new pet’s transition into your family and your home a success. Just imagine the process from the pet’s point of view — new people, new environment, new everything = heightened anxiety and stress! Every pet’s transition will be different. FOHA is here to help you plan ahead to make that transition as successful and as safe as possible for your new pet and your family.
Please review these tips prior to bringing home your new pet.